Sunday, March 30, 2008

Calzones

The other day, Mack, one of the other students in my lab, asked me what we'd had for dinner. I told him calzones and he commented that we seemed to make a lot of Italian meals. I thought about this, then said yes, we did. I guess Italian is often easy, quick, and delicious. Case in point, calzones. Using sweet onions we got at the local farmer's market, and a tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes, we made calzones that could rival, well, a really good calzone maker. We included hot turkey sausage, mushrooms with the onions, and both mozzarella and parmegiano cheeses. Oh, and I had some turkey pepperoni in mine too. They were delicious, with some olive oil and kosher salt to top. We got a ball of pizza dough at Publix and each had a calzone the size of our plates. Yet, we were able to finish them and not feel bloated but good and satisfied. I guess that's what you get when you eat freshly made meals.


Air holes to vent the steam and let the gremlins out.
I actually finished this...and the wine too

Homemade calzones and red wine..a wonderful romantic dinner for two!

No comments: